Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mommy's Little Cub



Evan came home from school yesterday with a flyer clutched in his grubby little hand. His face was aglow, and I waited patiently for him to explain what the excitement was about. "Mommy, I can be a Cub Scout!" Then John got excited as well. So tonight at 6:30, together with my boys, I will be heading to a Cub Scout meeting. John is sure this will be his opportunity to interact with his son. I am pleased that they will get the opportunity to do this together. John says that while he was never a scout, he is a veteran of the "biggest Boys' club there is". He is sure he can teach the children skills about survival and more.

In the meantime, I received a call from my beloved son's teacher. Apparently my child called another faculty member a "doo-doo head" and now my son has to serve a detention. I do not understand him at all. I was the child who cried when she got her name put on the board as a warning. My husband was the kid who got suspended for fighting all of the time. I think Evan is a mix of the two. I just never counted on my 7-year-old son having to serve detention. I went through my entire school career without ever having to serve one. What is going on with my child?

No comments: