Monday, August 25, 2008

Who Says You Can't Go Home?



Ahhhh. Home.

For the past two months, I have been driving 75 miles one way to work. It was never really a big deal when I was doing the day shift portion of my department orientation at my new job. And when I switched to nights at first, it wasn't either. But here is the thing about me and night shift: I work 12 hours. I am on my feet for those entire 12 hours. I get a lunch break, but if my phone rings for one of my patients, I am not guarunteed a break. So at the end of my work day, when the rest of the world is waking up, I am exhausted. If you add the fact that I cannot sleep more than a couple hours a day, it leads to a dangerous situation.

Well, yesterday morning, the inevitable, but feared, happened. I was exhausted and having a hard time keeping myself away for the hour and twenty minute drive home. At about the midpoint of my trip, there is this interchange between two different interstates that is really sharp and requires you to slow down substantially. I remember slowing down. But that must have been where I nodded off, because the next thing I know, my SUV is off the road and heading toward a cement wall. I am fortunate that no one was hurt, that my vehicle is unscathed. But it scared the living daylights out of me.

I managed to get home, and as soon as I walked in the door and saw John, I broke down in tears, telling him I fell asleep while driving home. And we realized that while we have been toying around with the idea of moving closer to work because of my $500+ a month gas bill, there are actually even better reasons to relocate, and it now becomes a necessity.

So....We have been looking at properties in that area, and we think we may have found one. Not only will it save me the expense of driving so far, but it is cheaper than our current living arrangement. So while off work this week, my goal is to start packing. I'm finally, after years of wanting to, going back home.

No comments: