Monday, September 1, 2008

To My Son, on the Day of his Birth




My Dearest Evan,


Today, I am sad. It seems like just yesterday that you were born. You were our miracle, the baby who was not supposed to make it. It shows just how much they knew. But I cannot believe it has been 7 years since we first laid eyes on you.


What a joy it has been for me to watch you grow into such an amazing little person. How blessed I am to get to watch you learn each and every day. Those liquid brown eyes of yours absorb everything around you, and I get to once again see the world through the innocent eyes of a child.


Lately, your father and I have been concerned about your unwaivering trust in others as if it is a bad thing. Yes, it is true that there are others out there who could harm you. But that trust is not entirely bad. Your ability to see the good in others is remarkable in a world full of cynics. We could all learn so much from you, little Evan. As the years pass and the number of candles on the birthday cake grow, please do not lose that.


Never stop learning. Even at the young age of 7, it is obvious to everyone who gets the priviledge of meeting you, that you have a mind that is extraordinarily gifted. While it is cliche, you truly can do anything you set your mind to. In the words of one of my instructors from college, you truly are only limited by your desire, because your abilities are limitless.


So another year has passed, carrying me further away from the day you were born, and closer to the day when you will be grown and leaving home. This is the reason I am sad. Having you in my life has been the greatest joy I have ever known. I can work toward my goals and achieve all I ever wanted, and will honestly be able to say I deserve the reward. How ironic is it that the greatest gift in my life, my Evan from Heaven, I will never deserve?


I thank God for choosing me to be your mother. Happy Birthday, my Angel Pie!


Love,


Mommy

P.S. Do you remember? You used to not go to sleep until I would sing this to you.



No comments: